Mo, Ozzy, Marshall, and Malcom taking naps and having fun!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sticks and Stones

So, spring break was enjoyable. Doing not much, hanging out with my "in slow labor" sister-in-law, and taking lunches to Ozzy at work was relaxing. I needed that break. I don't think I accomplished that much, but that was never the goal anyway. All was lovely until Friday.

Friday my sister-in-law was having regular contractions, but not close enough together for a hospital run. We went to the gas station for drinks and messed with my scrapbooking stuff instead. Ozzy was curious what all that junk was for anyway. Now he says maybe I can teach him. Isn't he sweet? I know, luckiest girl in the world.

I started having sympathy contractions. It felt like menstral cramps really low. But they didn't come and go. After a couple hours, they hadn't stopped, so I paged my doctor. He said eat dinner, relax and they'll go away. Then everything went nuts.

The pain moved to my right side. It no longer felt crampy. It felt like I was being stabbed. This was uncomfortable. Then it was really painful. Then it got worse, and Ozzy put me in the car and took me to Emergency. We called the doctor on our way there, and he said it sounded like a good plan. Great. Now I'm worried.

They're moving me up to the Women's Center and I'm thinking, "Please don't let this be preterm labor. It is way to early. Please don't let this be appendicitis. Surgery is way to risky."

They do all the tests. They check to see if I'm dialated, they check urine and blood. Meanwhile, the pain is worse and I am SHAKING. Ozzy is not a happy camper. The pain actually made me physically ill.

The doctor arrives and punches me in the back on my right. I want to kill him. He pronounces the verdict. I am guilty of kidney stones. He says to quit taking my prenatal vitamin. Guess you only need them through the first half of pregnancy anyway. I'm eating well enough, I guess. Then he asks whether I want to take a pill for the pain or a shot. I don't care. He says the pill is slower. I still don't care. So I think my hubby might have decided on the shot. One quick shot and I'm down. I'm almost asleep. Then I puke. Then I fall asleep while they're trying to get me dressed, into a wheel chair and out to the car.

My hubby's parents drove me home and called my parents while I snored in my room. Meanwhile, Ozzy loads my sister-in-law into his car and drives at a rediculous speed to score my narcotics and anti-nausea meds from the pharmacy before it closes. I sleep.

So, I was high for the next two days. Monday I skipped school to get off the drugs and make sure the pain was over.

When I went back yesterday, people declared that I was ready for labor because it feels the same. None of them have been through both. I think kidney stones are worse. They hurt in only one spot, but all you get is gunk in a funnel for your hard work. And they don't have to stop. Labor ends. And at least you get a baby.

My sister-in-law had her baby Saturday morning. She only had to push for 20 min. I hope that's the way it works for me! He had jaundice, but he gets to go home today! He's very small and cute in that squished new baby way. Hooray!

1 comment:

Michelle & Trevor said...

She only had to push for 20 minutes?? Holy Crap! Would you maybe find out how she did that and pass it along to me?

I've never had kidney stones, and I've never been in labor, but I do hear that they both suck exponentially. I'm sorry! Who knew you only need them for the first half of pregnancy? I've never heard that.

Orcas

Orcas
My hubby loves 'em . . . .

my visual dna