Mo, Ozzy, Marshall, and Malcom taking naps and having fun!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

False (ish) Alarm

I woke up with what I thought at first were cramps at 3:30am. Then I realized I was fat. Then I remembered that I am pregnant and these are contractions. After the ice water and pee routine, it was 3:45. And I was bored. So, I timed the contractions. They were not very painful, but bothersome enough that I wasn't able to sleep. They started out 6-8 minutes apart, but quickly normaled out at 4-5 minutes. By 5:45 I was REALLY bored, so when Ozzy woke up a little, I clued him in and he decided we might as well go to the hospital and see if this was the real thing.
I got there and they strapped me into all the monitors and checked me. The nurse decided I was almost 3cm. At least these contractions were doing SOMETHING. Ozzy was very sleepy and I felt badly about that. We watched the monitor screens until my doctor came by to see what was going on at a quarter to 7. He said it was good that I was at a 3. The plan was to check just after 7. If I was 4cm, we stay and have a baby. If I was still 3 but in more pain than when I came, we stay another hour. If I was at a 3 with the same pain I came in with, we take drugs, go home, and sleep. This early labor can take forever.
Well, a different nurse came in to check me. She said I was at 3 1/2 cm. Not really fitting with any of our game plans. I was not in more pain than when I came. The funny thing is when she checked me, I bled because, well, people usually don't poke other people's cervixes. She didn't realize it and snapped the glove off. There was blood everywhere. It was funny. And gross. And now Ozzy and I think she's an idiot, so when it's baby time, she better not be one of our nurses!
The other nurse gave me a percosett and sent me home to sleep more and come back if I get really painful labor or if my water breaks.
After Ozzy fed me breakfast, he went to work. He tried to call to check up on me, but I was OUT. I didn't even hear my phone. He got worried and made his sister wake up to come see if I was okay. Luckily another one of his phone calls woke me up and he could tell his sister to go back to sleep. It's crazy right now because I can't feel the contractions. Maybe justa little tightening. Hooray for drugs!
So, now we see if, when the drug wears off, my contractions hurt a lot. If they do, we go back to the hospital. If not, but they still bother me, no biggie. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning early and he can decide whether we should go over there and try to have a baby again.
On our way out, this man was calling in at the doors because he was sure his wife was in labor. She was smiling and her hair was done and she was in a dress and heels and had makeup on. They are so getting sent home. In the lobby, a man was bringing his wife in. She was breathing crazy, looked really mad, and her hair and clothes were all messy. She is NOT getting sent home!

1 comment:

Michelle & Trevor said...

Wait, they gave a pregnant woman Percocet? I didn't know they were allowed to do that!

By the way, I'm glad you still like me even thought I'm stupid enough to think a doe looks like a chihuahua. I swear I'm not the dumb most of the time... maybe...

Orcas

Orcas
My hubby loves 'em . . . .

my visual dna